Deciding which type of doctor to see can be a real “pain in the foot.” One thing to always keep in mind is what feels right to you. It is important to see a provider that clearly explains your diagnosis and treatment plan. Here is some information about orthopedic foot and ankle specialists to help you decide if you are seeing the right doctor.

Orthopedic surgeons attend four years of medical school, a five to six year residency, and a one year sub-specialty fellowship training to obtain an MD. Orthopedic surgeons are trained to treat all musculoskeletal injuries and, therefore, tend to consider how your foot and ankle injury may affect the rest of your body. They treat bones and joints, as well as their supporting soft tissue muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Podiatrists attend podiatry school and typically complete a brief residency thereafter. They are not medical doctors (MDs). 

Common Conditions and Injuries 
Orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons treat minor conditions, acute injuries, and complex injuries, including: 

  • Plantar fasciitis
  • Ankle sprains
  • Broken bones and injuries
  • Tendinitis and tendinosis
  • Turf toe
  • Hammer toe or claw toe
  • Bunions 
  • Mid and hind foot arthritis
  • Achilles tendon repairs
  • Liz Franc fractures
  • Charcot
  • Ankle replacements

Podiatrists typically treat ingrown toenails, calluses, fallen arches, heel spurs, deformities of the feet, and some common foot and ankle injuries.They can also provide important treatment for foot problems related to diabetes and other systemic illnesses. To make an appointment with an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon at The Center, call 541-322-2352.