Knee replacement can help relieve knee pain and enable you to live a fuller, more active life. If you and your orthopedic surgeon have decided that you are a good candidate for a full joint replacement, you are in good company. Almost one million hip and knee replacement surgeries are performed in the United States annually, making it one of the most common orthopedic procedures performed today.
- By 2030, total knee replacement surgeries are projected to grow 673% to 3.5 million procedures per year.
- About 60% of all knee replacement operations are performed on women.
- Approximately 85% of knee replacements will last for 20 years.
- Nearly 1/2 of American adults will develop knee osteoarthritis in at least one knee in their lifetime.
- 80% of osteoarthritis patients have some degree of movement limitation.
- More than 90% of people who have knee replacement surgery experience a dramatic reduction in knee pain.