It’s possible that your hand or finger may come between a sharp knife and your holiday meal. Hand and upper extremity specialist, Dr. James Verheyden, goes through the exact steps of what to do should you slice your hand or finger while slicing the holiday turkey.
What to Do
- The first thing you do if you slice your hand carving a turkey is you put a little pressure on the wound, take a big breath, and relax.
- After taking a big breath and relaxing, then you want to make sure that there’s no active bleeding.
- You then want to make sure you’ve got a good sensation and then make sure everything is working as it should be.
When to See Treatment
- If there’s significant bleeding
- If your finger’s turning discolored
- If you lost sensation
- If you can’t bend your finger over
- If there’s a significant amount of pain
If you are experiencing any of these, then you should go to the urgent care, emergency room, or see an orthopedist who specializes in hand and upper extremity conditions. You can also come see an orthopedic specialist by visiting our NOWcare walk-in injury clinic at 2200 NE Neff Rd, Bend, Oregon 97701. NOWcare is open Monday – Friday, 8 am – 4 pm.